Monday, October 25, 2010

Favorite Halloween Children's Books

We have three favorite Halloween Children's Books this season.
We found all of them in the library and all three of us, me and the two kids love them, and we read them night after night after night.

The kids favorite book is The Curious Demise of a Contrary CatThe Curious Demise of a Contrary Cat by Lynne Berry
They absolutely love this book, they want to read it night after night. The book is just the right amount of repetitive rhyme to really appeal to small kids, and make it bearable for parents to read night after night. I mostly like the illustrations, I but I'm not a fan of the cat's unibrow.  Other than the cat and the ugliness of the witch, I like the monochromatic of the book, but the cat makes me not want to buy the book. But I think we still might buy it so we have it next year, because the text is quite cute.

Ghosts in the House!Ghosts in the House! by Kazuno Kohara
We love this book, we got it two years ago at the library and read it repeatedly and then found it again this year and read it night after night. My daughter carries around the book, pointing out the little witch and her cat. I love the style Kohara illustrated the book, almost like engraved stamping. Since this is the second October we monopolized the book, we should definitely buy it.


My Monster Mama Loves Me SoMy Monster Mama Loves Me So by Laura Leuck
I will admit I like this book more than my four year old. Or at least more than he lets on, it a funny play on words through the whole book, about all the things a monster mama does for her child. Similar but different than what a human mom would do. I find it so cute, and my kids allow me to read it night after night, and giggle at some of the things monster mama does. I did buy this one, before we checked it out in the beginning of the month and didn't want to keep it all four weeks of October, but the other two we only got last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment