Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baptisms are Fun

In my church we don't get baptized until we are at least 8.  In fact when I remember talking to my friend when I was 8 after I was recently baptized.  She was a devout Catholic, and her family went to church every Saturday evening. I was saying I had just got baptized, and she informed me she was baptized as a baby.  My little brother of course was tagging along, and so it turned out he was the only one not baptized. Other than watching her family get ready for church on Saturday evenings, this was the only time religion ever came up because this was New England.
On to the present time, one of my nephews was baptized on Friday night.  I took no pictures of the weekend because I'm lazy I guess.  Plus we don't take pictures of the ceremonies so it would have only been pictures of people talking.  I don't know, why I never bothered to pull out my camera. He had a big fat birthday party afterward with all his aunts, uncles, and cousins, so the kids definitely had fun.  But I'm sure all had fun, which is why I said Baptisms are fun.  Although maybe that's not quite the right way to say it.  Baptisms are significant, meaningful, religious.  J once again gave his go to talk, the one that started out in primary, and then he did it in the Primary program in front of everyone in church, and now he gave it in front of all his Paternal cousins, before the baptism.
The next day most stay around, to help with a fence building.  It all felt so pastoral, the men folk traveled from all around to help with the fence, the chicken wandered around in one of the gardens, the women watched the children and chatted while some cooked all morning.  Ok, it probably wasn't that idyllic, but one of the great things that was great was I realized my son was inside but my daughter was not.  I asked him where she was?  Then I glanced outside and she was playing with her newly aged eight year old cousin.  I love it, because cousins of all age play in my husband's family.  The older cousins are always nice to the younger cousins, and that is idyllic. Nan and this cousin played together for over an hour.  J is one of the last boys, there are four girls his age, at least another four younger than him, while there is only two boys younger than him, and they are 3 and 4 years younger then him.  But the older boy cousins who are all at least 3 years older than him, always let him tag along, so he doesn't have to suffer through a huge polly pocket fest.  Not to mention I always think its a good weekend when I spend it chatting with my sister in laws.

1 comment:

  1. Glad we made it to the temple too! That was fun...even thought we didn't get to chat much there. Can't wait to do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete