Sunday, July 3, 2011

A repeat?

I can't remember what I've typed or not, so this story might be a repeat.
I was reading the Ensign this morning, because the chocolate chip cookies were tempting me, and I read Start Moving, by Elder Von G. Keetch Area Seventy, Utah Stake Lake City Area.  When I read this paragraph it reminded me of a conversation I had with my husband six months ago.
The crew chief hiked back to the smoke jumpers and tossed the radio to the leader, saying, “You are in a dead spot. All you had to do was start moving down one of the trails, and the dispatcher could have easily given you course corrections and brought you right into the spot where we needed you. Instead you lounged up here, and you were totally worthless to us.”
Six months ago, I was getting very bored of the MBA, and all it meant to the family.  I decided I could handle living in our current apartment until the end of the year, but no more.  Our lease was up in July, and I figured I could handle signing up for another six months after that, to get us to January in which case I wanted to live somewhere else.  I said to my husband come June I meeting with a Real Estate Agent.  It might not be the right time to buy but nothing changes if nothing changes.  (Our Singles ward Bishop always said that, he was talking about sin and stopping but the principle is very multi-faceted.) I said as we look at houses, we will know if we are suppose to buy or rent somewhere else, but I need life to change once you graduated.  Now this conversation had been contiguous of many; we had discussed back and forth how long we could live in the apartment to save money.  As Brent had pointed out in a previous conversation if we stayed there for another 12 months after school we would probably have at $15-20,000 for a down-payment.  Since that is what we were use to paying for tuition, we could continue our finances and save the formerly tuition money for a downpayment. And just imagine how much money we would have if we could live there double the time.  At first that sounded do-able, but as the winter continued, I knew I couldn't do it. For one, my family could not progress in that apartment. I had be taught the principle in order to find change you must move. I told my husband that we could stay in the apartment indefinitely without receiving inspiration to change.  As mortals we have to take action to receive growth. I firmly believe that the opportunity to move to here, might have not come up if we didn't have a desire to keep progressing in life. Here is the funny thing, I wanted to start looking at house in June, then Brent decided it was about time to move here, he wanted to buy a house in July here.  We bought a house in March, a little sooner than we were expecting, but still I think all the wheels started in motion, by us saying, Lord we are stuck in neutral living here. During the last 6 and half years of our marriage, Brent and I have had a constant goal not to settle in life. We don't want to be content with status quo and stop progressing.
The article continues to say,

Often in our need for spiritual guidance and direction, we can be tempted to do exactly what the smoke jumpers did. We find ourselves in unfamiliar territory. We see several paths available to us, and we’re not sure which one to take. We have been promised inspiration and help from our Heavenly Father. But it doesn’t always come immediately. We grow frustrated and decide we are simply going to sit down and wait until the promised guidance comes. We wait and we wait and we wait, wondering why the divine Dispatcher doesn’t help us with our course.
In so doing, we ignore an important principle of revelation. Our Father in Heaven expects us to use our own intelligence, ability, and experience to chart our initial course. As we press forward along the path we have chosen, we are in a much better position to receive the course corrections He may have for us. But if we simply plop down on the ridge and recline on our backpacks until He gives us instruction, we risk finding ourselves in a spiritual dead spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment