Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Funny Story

We interrupt this sabbatical for a funny story.
We are driving home from preschool when my son asks, mom how do construction workers build big heavy things in the sky?
Me: I don't know, I'm not an engineer
J:  What are you then?
Me: A political scientist
J: What do you know then?
Me: I read the news, study politics, debate--
J interrupting:  I don't know what any of that means, what type of scientist are you again?
Me: A political scientist
J: What is political?
Me:  I study Politics
J: What are politics?
I proceeded to try to explain to him politics, but he isn't even 5 yet, so needless to say the conversation didn't go far.
I probably should have told him Political Science is a soft science, and I'm not a scientist at all, but I was enjoying my high horse, and am quite prideful about my college degree.  Not to mention he doesn't really understand the difference between soft and hard sciences.  Plus by the time we were out of the car, he was much more concerned about stomping ice then anything his mom ever studied in college.

2 comments:

  1. My mom majored in political science. I had no clue what that was until I was like 17--but I knew it was cool! (And I knew she wrote her master's thesis on Romania, and I could find that on a map if I tried really hard.) Anyway, you just wait: J will be bragging on the playground about how his mom is a political scientist...even though he may have no clue what it means! (It just sounds cool though, right...political science.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have told him you were an FBI agent.

    ReplyDelete