Monday, August 16, 2010

What are you Reading?

Today my daughter wanted to go out and play.  While my son spends many hours playing in the grass, my daughter does not get to go out unless an adult is with her.  Normally she is distractable, this morning, it she had been determined since breakfast. Since I had already done the laundry, and paid the bills, grabbed my book and open the door for her, because goodness sakes, I can not go outside and just stare at my children playing, that is not my personality.
A girl from church, that I have maybe talked to three times, drove up to visit a neighbor of mine.  Although we haven't talked much, I guess I do know her, my husband works with her husband at church, and my husband has visited their house numerous times. She greeted me, asked me how I was doing, and then said you must love to read.  Every time I see you are reading.  Really? I asked, I was embarrassed, every time she saw me I've been loafing around with a book?  How many times has she seen me, I don't know if I've ever seen her outside of church?  We discussed for a bit about reading, and my book, and then that was that.
I did spend the rest of the day loafing around with a book though.
I decided to reread some of the Harry Potters.  When I last saw The Half Blood Prince, I had no idea what was going to happened next, the plot was a complete surprise.  I definitely didn't know who R.A.B. was.  I planned to immediately read The Deathly Hallows, but at least six months had past since that, when I picked it up.  I had no idea what was happening the first chapter, so I went back to the Half Blood Prince.  I figured why start at the beginning of the series, how many times does a girl have to read book 1.  Anyway, I finished the Half Blood Prince; (I can't read about Dumbledore's funeral without getting teary eyed).  On with book seven, I have no idea what is happens, I have only read it once, so I can't wait to spend another few days loafing around reading. But I'm sure the plot will come to me as I read.  Nonetheless, I do know who R.A.B. is, I asked my brother, who promptly told me, a question I regret asking.  Sure now I know who, but I don't know anything else, it was lame of me.  But just so you know, to people I barely see, I am always loafing around reading.  Ok, she didn't say it like that at all, she seemed genuinely impressed, but that doesn't change the fact that I was genuinely embarrassed.  At least reading is a much more respectable hobby than blogging every day, when you aren't a professional.  Does that seem odd to anyone "professional blogging"?

No comments:

Post a Comment