Friday, August 13, 2010

Thursday Night, Friday Morning Date Night

Last night my husband and I had signed up to go to the Temple.  So we found a babysitter, and left.  Then we came home and loaded everyone in the car along with a lot of our camping gear, and drove out west into the desert, to watch the Perseids Meteor Shower. Luckily our kids fell asleep in the car.  My husband set up the tent and sleeping bags, while I made sure the kids didn't start screaming.  Once we put our kids in their sleeping bags, I laid in there for a few minutes to make sure everything was ok. As lay next to them, still spiritually elated from the temple, I thought I'm the luckiest girl alive. Growing up I didn't want to be a mom, I didn't realize it would be more than just dirty diapers, jam hands, and crying.  I'm glad I found out that there is more than that to motherhood, and its much better than babysitting, but also much harder, and never goes away.  But I'm having so much fun in life right now, being a mom, a wife, a person, we just have so much fun together. I feel like 25 is a sweet spot, I feel so calm and relaxed who is I am, where I am in life, where I am in my relationships, especially my marriage.
But back to the Meteors, it was really cool, we saw the skinny sliver of the moon, set. and go away under the mountains.  So the sky was bright with stars.
  Its neat to be out in the middle of no where and see the different colors of the night sky.  We saw the cluster of stars, that I guess is the milky way. The edge of the milky way?  I don't quite understand astronomy.
 We saw plenty of shooting stars.  So naturally I thought of the hit song, Airplanes, "Let's pretend that airplanes in the night sky are shooting stars, I could really use a wish right now." Not to mention my husband took his camera to do some astro-photography but didn't get any pictures of shooting stars, but plenty of satellites and airplanes.
Back to the events at hand, we watched the stars and the meteors for about an hour, until my neck got tired, and  I was tired, so then I went to bed.  Then we woke up at four and watched some more shooting stars.  It was pretty cool, I really will admit it was awesome to see so many shooting stars. Then it got too light, most of the stars went away, and the photography was useless. So I convinced my husband to pack up and stuff our kids in the car.  We drove home and got at home at 6:30is-7ish, and then all went back to bed.  The kids and I until 10:30, but Brent had to get up earlier for working at home.  It was a lovely 17 hours.
As we drove away from the dusty flat ground covered in prickly weeds...

 I thought about when I was engaged and many people told me don't have babies right away, its so fun to be first married before your kids are born, you can do so much fun things, and you aren't tied down, you can go camping and other stuff all the time.  Now this is a lot of advice all mixed together in one run-on sentence, but the point is, I think they were crazy.  Good advice for some probably, but not the advice Brent and I heeded.  We had a baby right away, be even with that, we have a blast all the time, we don't feel tied down at all, we do some much, and have so much fun all the time. Its so easy with two kids-- built in best friends, and we just pop them in the car and go. They sleep on the way, and when we get there.

 Brent and I are having the time of our lives.

Look, its a planet.  Ten bucks to who can tell me which one.  Just kidding, I'm not going to pay you, but I don't know what planet it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment