Monday, January 26, 2009

I love church

Bizarre I know. Most people get up and go to church because they know its the right thing to do when they believe in their religion. But I really do love church.
My initiation of a mother of two children continued yesterday. My husband helped passed the sacrament, so he wasn't sitting with us in the beginning. I was holding the babe, and noticed the boy dancing. I said do you need to go potty? (We have stopped pull ups at church. He has been able to use the potty for 7 months now, why not at church too?) He answered yes. So I quickly grabbed his hand and left the bench. As I'm standing up I think, who can I pass my baby off to, before he has an accident? I'm sure we made quite the scene,a 6ft tall woman (I had on my tall boots) holding an infant and toddler running so he doesn't have accident, 5 minutes after the meeting started. We came back in much more relaxed, but probably just as noticeable. I've decided my initiation of motherhood will probably never end. Luckily I know people in my ward to pass my baby too, the bathroom would have been much more challenging with only one hand.
But life got still more exciting, during the first talk, my son decided to sit on the row in front of us. We were on the third row back on the side, and no one was in front of us. Since my son was not crying a popular past time during sacrament I let him sit alone. After a while he decided to get a little adventurous since his parents were not next to him. He ventured to the middle row and when he realized nothing was stopping him, he booked it, started running as fast as he could, with a huge smile, I think probably everyone noticed. Brent turned to me and asked where is he going? I said I don't know, I figured might as well wait and see. He just lapped the chapel. He came back to us, happy as could be, and proud. Sadly we had had to squash that. Even though it was extremely funny, we did not let our son know that. My husband started telling him that was very bad, in a very quiet but stern whisper, my son looked at me, and whined, mom. I followed the same tone as my husband, and said, no that is not ok to do. I don't know if I believe the age old wisdom of if your children are misbehaving sit in the front. Normally we sit in the middle, and he is fine, but yesterday it was a parade of lets show the ward how wiggly I can be.
The best part was in Relief Society, (which is the first meeting) our lesson was on Elder Oaks talk, about Sacrament Meeting and the Sacrament. I had made a few comments, so all I could do during sacrament was just laugh at myself for my son's behavior. Hey we are all born with agency, and try as I might my son was determine to exercise his. Here are some of my favorite points of the talk.
This is a commandment with a promise. By participating weekly and appropriately in the ordinance of the sacrament we qualify for the promise that we will “always have his Spirit to be with [us]” (D&C 20:77). That Spirit is the foundation of our testimony. It testifies of the Father and the Son, brings all things to our remembrance, and leads us into truth. It is the compass to guide us on our path. This gift of the Holy Ghost, President Wilford Woodruff taught, “is the greatest gift that can be bestowed upon man” (Deseret Weekly, Apr. 6, 1889, 451).
The ordinance of the sacrament makes the sacrament meeting the most sacred and important meeting in the Church. It is the only Sabbath meeting the entire family can attend together. Its content in addition to the sacrament should always be planned and presented to focus our attention on the Atonement and teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I begin with how members of the Church should prepare themselves to participate in the ordinance of the sacrament. In a worldwide leadership training meeting five years ago, Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught the priesthood leaders of the Church how to plan and conduct sacrament meetings. “We commemorate His Atonement in a very personal way,” Elder Nelson said. “We bring a broken heart and a contrite spirit to our sacrament meeting. It is the highlight of our Sabbath-day observance” (“Worshiping at Sacrament Meeting,Liahona, Aug. 2004, 12; Ensign, Aug. 2004, 26).

We are seated well before the meeting begins. “During that quiet interval, prelude music is subdued. This is not a time for conversation or transmission of messages but a period of prayerful meditation as leaders and members prepare spiritually for the sacrament” (Liahona, Aug. 2004, 13; Ensign, Aug. 2004, 27).

When the Savior appeared to the Nephites following His Resurrection, He taught them that they should stop the practice of sacrifice by the shedding of blood. Instead, “ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit” (3 Nephi 9:20). That commandment, repeated in the modern revelation directing us to partake of the sacrament each week, tells us how we should prepare. As Elder Nelson taught, “Each member of the Church bears responsibility for the spiritual enrichment that can come from a sacrament meeting” (Liahona, Aug. 2004, 14; Ensign, Aug. 2004, 28).

In his writings on the doctrines of salvation, President Joseph Fielding Smith teaches that we partake of the sacrament as our part of commemorating the Savior’s death and sufferings for the redemption of the world. This ordinance was introduced so that we can renew our covenants to serve Him, to obey Him, and to always remember Him. President Smith adds: “We cannot retain the Spirit of the Lord if we do not consistently comply with this commandment” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 2:341).

Yes its one thing I can say, life is never dull with small children.
Speaking of which did I ever mention my favorite point during the primary program last fall?
This adult asked a small child for the small child's talking point, what can we do to get ready to go to the temple? The question was obviously talking about children preparing for when they are adults. The child took it a little more literal. And said we can put on our shoes and pants. I thought I was going to die laughing. There was another pregnant woman in front of me, and apparently it was hysterical to pregnant women, both of us laughed silently for over 5 minutes. I thought that was perfect advice for anything, we should always remember to put on our pants.

3 comments:

  1. with Aimi Lark everyone else's toys and snacks are better than hers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say, life is never dull with a husband in Sacrament meeting!
    The kids would be fine if their dad would just focus! I really feel ridiculous shushing the dad so the kids will shush too.

    Good advice...wearing pants to the temple or anywhere is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never wear my pants to the temple!

    ReplyDelete