Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fortuitous Move


Although we have been talking about moving out here since my daughter was born, it was very weird when things actually started moving in that direction.  I wondered many times why we were choosing to move, and paying for it ourselves. I also wondered why we were buying a house, seven months ago, I reveled in not being a home owner. As probably everyone knows moves can be stressful, and moving in the middle of a school year only adds to it.  But yet I knew it was what was suppose to happen.  And every step of the way it was proven that this what what was right. Like when I told my dad at Christmas that we would never move out here, then two weeks later we were making plans. Like when I set our budget, I told my husband I didn't want to spend more than $x, he agreed, then the five days before we saw the realtor our friend told us if she could do it again, she would spend $200 more a month.  Really? Six days laterwe picked a house exact $200 a month over our budget, but then a week after moving property taxes were re-adjusted and the price dropped. Like when we met with our Realtor who we found through Brent's co-worker, and he mentioned all his kids went to school in Utah.  Really?  The only people who send ALL of their children to college in Utah are Mormon.  Yes, our Realtor was mormon, and the ward we moved in just happened to be where her son in law was the Elder's Quorum President.  Or when we needed boxes, and couldn't find any, so we were about to go buy a bunch, when our neighbor's father showed up with multiple palates of boxes. Or when Brent's friend was giving away couches right as we were moving.  Yes all of it seemed unreally fortuitous. At one point we didn't think we had enough money and would ask for a loan from a family member for a moving truck, then we ended up with twice that much left over after the moving truck, closing, etc in which to fix the bathroom. Or that every house in the neighborhood is listed at $40,000 more than we paid.  
So when the second week in the ward when they called me to be a CTR 7 Primary teacher, then switched sunbeams the following week, I wasn't surprised.  The primary president felt really bad asking me to change, and I said don't worry, I think I knew I was going to be the sunbeam teacher all along.  She said oh good, I was so stressed I was up all night. (One of the sunbeams is deaf and no one but his family signs in the ward, so it was stressful for her who had been the primary president less than a month to find someone. No I don't sign, other than more and all gone.)
So last night, when I was reading the Book of Mormon to my son, we read 1 Nephi 17, I knew I was reading it for me, and that I needed to tell J that the Lord did the same thing for us, as he did for Nephi's family, minus the not cooking our meat part. 
12For the Lord had not hitherto suffered that we should make much fire, as we journeyed in the wilderness; for he said: I will make thy food become sweet, that ye cook it not; 13And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led. 14Yea, and the Lord said also that: After ye have arrived in the promised land, ye shall know that I, the Lord, am God; and that I, the Lord, did deliver you from destruction; yea, that I did bring you out of the land of Jerusalem. 15Wherefore, I, Nephi, did strive to keep the commandments of the Lord, and I did exhort my brethren to faithfulness and diligence.
"ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led" I'm not sure if I was blessed so much because I am one with little faith and need to be blessed constantly so I wouldn't doubt or what.  But I this ward hasn't even known me for a month, and have helped us so much already.  The other day some of the Relief Society Presidency was over and said, we'll make sure to check up on you, but I'm sure you'll be fine because you are so independent.  I thought really? I'm independent, you how can you tell?  I've only seen you three times. But you faith in me, bouys me up, because I don't feel independent.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, some places just fit certain people. It's nice to find the place that fits for you.

    I used to think I could live just about anywhere, but I don't think that anymore. When we lived in Jersey I just felt like everything was perfect. It was like we'd always been there and we would always be there. It feels like home to us even though we were there such a short time. But when we lived in Portland, I felt out of place the entire year and couldn't wait to get out.

    I'm so glad you like your new situation. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete