Friday, March 4, 2011

Butterfly

First off, just so no one feels left out we are under contract with a house out of state, if you want to know more about it you'll have to email me. Things can still fall through, but I decided I don't mind going public.

My daughter who barely talks except as speech class, amazed me yesterday.  She wanted her dress up clothes on, specifically her fairy wings.  I asked her if she was a fairy, she replied, "no, butterfly"  Sure it wasn't that clear, but I understood. She has never said anything like that.  The most contrary amount of communication she normal has done is shaking her head no, saying mama, when Brent asks her something.  Other than that is screaming and hitting. She is totally into her "butterfly" wings the past two days, and even wore them on top of her rainjacket yesterday to pick her brother up from preschool.
On the way out the door, I asked her if she was going to fly. She was hopped all over the grass waving her arms and was pretty disappointed when she did making lift off.  Usually she isn't that fond of her tutus, but who can blame her.  A fit outfit with high heals is so much more modern. She loves her high heals, all shoes not just high heals, even boy rainboots and snow boots.  But it makes me wonder....
I started reading, Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstei.  I always knew that gender colors are based on society.  But how does my daughter know?  She has always been in "boy" carseats, either navy blue or black, all our strollers have been blue.  I tried to put as much purple on her as I possible could as an infant, and then when she wasn't even a year and half old, we were shopping with grammy.  Grammy and I found this darling baby blue plaid dress.  We showed it to Nan, she pushed it away, and would not allow it to enter the cart, as we continued around the rack she grabbed the pink dress.  We did not pick it up, she grabbed it.  Nan will always pick the pink shirt, after I pick up a different shirt to show her.  I know colors are based on society norms but how does she know?
Although I will admit there is plenty of gender roles in our house.  I have never made my son play with a doll and he was given plenty as a baby.  While I bought my daughter plenty of baby dolls, and other girly toys.  But she has yet to have a barbie or other type of toy, I try to buy mostly gender neutral things, and my daughter does love red sports cars, guns, blocks and motorcycles. Last year she had such affinity for motorcycles, it scared her dad.

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog layout and header!
    That is exciting about a house out of state.
    We're under contract for a lot here in FL but I haven't spread it to the world yet either.
    Good luck with your housing endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Aimi Lark's favorite color is blue, but I think part of that has to do with her fav. princess being cinderella??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of young kids are drawn to pink--boys included, if no one discourages them. I know my DS has started to really have a thing for pink--something about it must be nice for their little eyes (its certainly not my favorite color, so its a little hard for me to take, but I try to go with it.)

    ReplyDelete