Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blitz

I got my hands on Breaking Dawn the other day. I read it in 24 hours, which also included the time I had to eat, sleep, and take care of my child (that included FHE). I didn't read it exceptionally fast for any particular reason other than I knew I wouldn't get much while I was reading it, so I figured I'd might as well put everything else off and blitz it. (Not to mention I didn't think I read that fast, I just didn't do any chores, we got pizza for dinner.) I figure it was less time consuming this way. I was impressed at how well Stephenie Meyer has progressed as an author in these four books. I think she has made vast improvements since Twilight. I liked the last 200 pages, I was impressed with her discussion, of government, choice and other such topics. Not that it was the most amazing discussion ever written in a novel, but that it was in a teen fiction book. I don't know, don't ask questions, I enjoy the book that much is true. Sort of predicable, but they all sort have been. It was sort of weird reading it though, I felt like it was a different book (than the previous 3 in the series) with the same names of characters but not the same characters. Maybe that is just because they grew up, but I think it had to do with how quick they grew up, and how relationships changed because of that. In Harry Potter they grow up, but they are still always students at school, in this book there is a big difference to the point of life Bella is in the first book compared to to this book.
I was surprised at the end, I thought I would be so relieved when the series was over. But some where I read, that Meyer said, Bella and Edward's story is over, but that doesn't mean other characters in the book don't have stories to tell. When it was over, I thought, oooh, is she going to write a story about JB and RCC (I used initials so I would give a spoiler, sorry if that turns out to be spoiler)? Anyway, I enjoyed the book, I don't if it was good enough to read in a day, but I did, it seemed less time invasive then drawing it out over a week. But I did enjoy it, and I told my husband all about it. Then again he did ask questions, which prompted my plot explanations (he read Twilight). My one complaint was that in the other books, I didn't take the horrific opinion of most LDS adults, that the book was too racy to be written by an LDS author. I thought all the moms that were horrified, didn't realize what the heck their teenager daughters had already been exposed to. I saw it has a harmless book, that if parents so wished could be followed by a discussion of these are the morals we have. (Bella was a little more easy than I expect my future daughters to be.) But I thought Meyer went a little far with this book. I had no problem with her writing the story of a girl becoming infatuated with a boy, and her description of them making out, and I did like that Edward would not have sex with her until they were married. I had no problem of their discussion of it in previous books. But I didn't think Meyer need as much reference to their sex life as she included in this book. To me there is a difference about 16 year olds making out (even if it is in a bed, not that I'm condoning that) then a married couple's sex life. Even if she didn't write any details. But maybe now I'm the one turned out to be a prude. Everyone kisses and tells when they are dating, but its improper to discuss your sex life.

No comments:

Post a Comment