Monday, June 28, 2010

Yesterdays

Why is growing up weird?
Its weird to get older.
Yesterday at said family gathering, my nieces, nephews, and children ran around my grandparents backyard. Circle after circle, in the nice green lush lawn. The adults were in the shade, sitting on white lawn chairs talking about boring adult things just like adults do. Teresa, said I have to keep pinching myself, should I be the one running around in the lawn. Yes, weird we are adults! Ahh, one of my nieces was 9 the other was 10. I first went to my grandparents house when I was 9, yes I ran around that lawn many summers, in a little 9, 10, 11, or 12 year old body, running around and around. But now I'm the an old adult, that sits in the very same white lawn chairs my parents, my grandparents, and my aunts and uncles sat in all those summers.
The best part of yesterday was when a nephew tried to climb a retaining wall and my grandpa yelled, hubba hubba. Ahh, memories, I thought that is the grandpa I know and love.

Speaking of weird places in life, the other night I went out to dinner with an old young women's leader and three of her kids. When she first became a young women's leader I was 13, and her oldest child was 2 or 3. Now I have a four year old, and her oldest child is 14. Crazy, life totally switched. I was in seven grade, her daughter is going into ninth.
When did I become an adult?

My son tells me all the time, when I grow up I'm going to be expensive and buy a big house. I say oh really? Well maybe when daddy and I grow up we will buy a big house. He says, no, you are grown ups. I say, maybe, but not quite yet, daddy and I still have a lot of growing up to do, we are still really young. Yes he will be the oldest child that complains to his little siblings about what it was like when mom and dad were poor, and he didn't get all the cool stuff they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment