Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two

Two children for me, has been way more challenging than anyone let one. But it has also been liberating. I won't lie, its been a steep learning curve. I'm positive a peep never came out of my son's mouth until he was 2 and half and learned how to coherently talk. Also he got rather stressed out during a difficult pregnancy and started having temper tantrums. So for the first time in my mothering life I had to learn how to deal with noise.
But in other ways its been liberating. I remember when my son was my daughter's age and eating table scraps. Anyone who has a table scrap eating child knows more food ends up on the floor than in their mouth. With my son, I found it so stressful to have such a dirty kitchen, I remember wishing for when this phase would be over. Then realizing he was my first and this was only the beginning, made me want to curl up in a ball. Now that I'm on two, I sweep two to three times a day, and don't care that the kitchen is covered in crumbs. Sure I'll have crummy floor for probably a decade, but one day she will be much less crummy. And right now, I don't care that she is, it is where she is and who she is. And it comes with the territory. I would rather be sweeping twice a day, than wake up all night long to nurse. So right now I can handle this.

1 comment:

  1. I think the biggest leap is going from one kid to two. Going from zero to 1 is such a huge change, that going to 2 is doubly huge of a change.

    But once you get used to the kids outnumbering the adults, going 3+ is no big deal.

    ReplyDelete