Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cake Debate

In four weeks I'll have a one year old baby. I'm currently trying to decided what to do for her birthday cake. Yes, I know this doesn't have to be a big deal, but hey in the words of my husband that isn't my style.
What I was originally planning was a princess and the pea cake, because she was a reflux baby, and was/is a princess and the pea. For the first few months of her life, she wouldn't sleep unless her bed was elevated on an incline. It took us a while to figure this out, but when we finally did, my husband declared she had princess and pea syndrome. Its really not her fault, he has labeled other females in our house with the same syndrome. But then I decided that was a little too much work for a one year old's birthday. It wouldn't actually be that much work for a decorated cake, but she wouldn't get it. Anyway, for whatever reason I scrapped that idea.
What I'm currently debating is
As far as tradition goes, either works. I had a castle cake for my first birthday. While my son had cupcakes with sprinkles for his birthday, which is probably the reason I'm not doing the princess and the pea cake. I was leaning toward the castle just because some pictures are so darn cute, until I saw these pictures on Design Mom blog, now I'm back to thinking pink cupcakes with sprinkles. Plus I do love to use my cupcake stand. After looking my son's first birthday I think I'm going to go with the cupcakes.

But the problem with cupcakes is they are top heavy, so they always flip upside for a wee one. Oh well, I'm sure she won't mind we already know she loves cake.
What do all y'all think? Please weigh in on your opinion on the three cakes. My husband didn't give me his opinion, he only ask what type of cake he had on his first birthday. I haven't the slightest idea. Please weigh in.

3 comments:

  1. at first I didn't get all the hype with cupcakes but now I'm a fan...pink sprinkle cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am my brother's sister. So I vote for easy and simple. The kid won't really remember it anyway. Or will she? You wouldn't want her to hold a grudge against you for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed that you would think about trying that princess and pea cake! It looks hard to me--but super cute.

    I think I'm growing tired of cupcakes. Is it because now I have kids and all we ever make are cupcakes? Or is it that their trendiness has outlived itself?

    I vote for trying one of the cakes.

    ReplyDelete