Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sabatical


We got some family pictures taken the other day. This is my favorite, this sums up my life for the last year and half. A baby, and the nine months it took to grow it, then the six months since. And the whole journey of potty training, a fully capable child who has a mind of his own. The whole reason I potty trained him when I did was my pregnant nose couldn't stand the smell of old wet diapers. He had his set backs especially when his baby sister entered the picture. But luckily this picture has only smiles, none of the overwhelming terribleness of potty training.
And with that, I'm going on sabbatical until we get settled.

With that life is good, even if I'm turned into that mom I swore I never would who looks like she can't control her children in the store, and yells at them, to come here, we aren't getting that. Its true I can't control my child, he is his own person, he has is own agency, I can not require compulsion of his behavior even if I wanted to. He makes his own choices, no matter how hard I try to teach him properly. So I keep trying to teach him, and then let the rest be. I do my best, and try to keep a smile on my face. At least photographs remember the good times not the bad.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how motherhood makes you do things you thought you would NEVER do. Like smell your babys bottom to see if they are dirty or not, taking boogers away from them with your bare hands before they try to eat it, and yes, screaming for them to "get over here now!" while people stare at you like you have absolutely no control over your children. Kids seriously do change everything!

    ReplyDelete