Monday, August 24, 2015

Obedience

The other night I said to my husband, I haven't been being very obedient. 
He replied, "Oh really?"
I said yeah, in the beginning of the summer I decided to read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) in reverse order. Its lately not cutting it, and I've felt inspired I need to move on to the Book of Mormon. But I really want to finish Matthew. I'm so close.
He started laughing, he told me, I was quite the rebel.

We sometimes have the silliest conversations as we are putting off scripture study and bedtime.

I also brought this idea of a couple scripture, again.
Brent said I got it, I know what our scripture should be.
He opened up the Book of Mormon where our bookmark was, and read Alma 1:1
Now it came to pass that in the first year of the reign of the judges over the people of Nephi, from this time forward, king Mosiah having gone the way of all the earth, having warred a good warfare, walking uprightly before God, leaving none to reign in his stead; nevertheless he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made.
Before he finished I was totally giggling. At 11 pm it totally fit for him as a dad, knowing the only kingdom he ever have is his family. 
He said its perfect. My response was for you as a dad yes. But not "us".

I said, give me the Book of Mormon, I'll find the one for me as a wife.
I slowly turned 1 Nephi 5, because I didn't know what chapter I was looking for. Who knew the story of Nephi moved so quickly?
8 And she spake, saying: Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, ... and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them. And after this manner of language did she speak.

To get the full effect of the conversation start at beginning of the chapter.
I also like verse 9 "And it came to pass that they did rejoice exceedingly, and did offer sacrifice and burnt offerings unto the Lord; and they gave thanks unto the God of Israel."

You know it only took me 5 years to forgive my husband and the Lord for Brent being a perpetual scout master. Where did such humility come from you may ask? Well not from me. I'm proud, just like the majority of humans. Two years or so ago, Brent's friend, the Young Men's President at the time gave him the book Trails to Testimony to read, Brent finally convinced me to read it.
*glass shatters*
Completely changed my perspective. So now I can say what Sariah said, except my husband doesn't flee into the wilderness he camps in the wilderness. But let's no forget an important part of the conversation. In verse 4, "And it had come to pass that my father spake unto her, saying: I know that I am a visionary man;" Lehi does acknowledge Sariah's complaints. And I have changed my perspective but I'm not perfect and still complain plenty!

Many times Brent has said Lehi has the best calling. He says, it would be so awesome for the Lord to tell him take his family backpacking for 6 years. Let's be honest, I would travel to the ends of the world to with my husband to make him happy, but that is not my dream at all!

Yesterday I finished Matthew, today I turned to the Pearl of Great Price not to the Book of Mormon, but not to be a rebel. 
I forgot how great the Book of Moses is:

16 Get thee hence, Satan; deceive me not; for God said unto me: Thou art after the similitude of mine Only Begotten.
17 And he also gave me commandments when he called unto me out of the burning bush, saying: Call upon God in the name of mine Only Begotten, and worship me.
18 And again Moses said: I will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of him: for his glory has been upon me, wherefore I can judge between him and thee. Depart hence, Satan.
19 And now, when Moses had said these words, Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me.
20 And it came to pass that Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell. Nevertheless, calling upon God, he received strength, and he commanded, saying: Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory.
21 And now Satan began to tremble, and the earth shook; and Moses received strength, and called upon God, saying: In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan.
Those are my emphasis I added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment