Friday, November 4, 2011

Jack o Lanterns

Let me tell you a story about our pumpkins.  I wanted to go to a pumpkin patch to get our pumpkins.  I remember going to real pumpkin patches, but of course those probably don't exist in our country in anymore.  So instead of paying $8 to go to a "Pumpkin Patch" as in a blank field with pumpkins with baracode stickers on them, surrounded by small hay bales, we picked ours up at walmart for $3.50.  That was before I found out my son got one on his field trip.  But just for the record they were the exact same pumpkins with the exact same stickers.
So because of the field trip we didn't go as a family, that and $26 is way more than $7.

We were going to carve pumpkins before my husband was on a business trip the week before Halloween, but we just ran out of time with getting home from church at 4:30 in the afternoon.  So then I carved them with the kids before Truck or Treat, because my husband got home from his trip an hour before, and we didn't have time to carve with him.   So J and I got to carving, and it was joyous, because in the past he has been too scared to touch the guts. Although, I was sad it wasn't a whole family thing like it always has been in the past.  Not to mention doing it in the middle of the day looses some halloween fun. This is the picture the 5 year old took.
 He was trilled to pull off the top.
Tah dah, finished.  He drew the face himself.
 Let me tell you the story of my daughters.  We finished my son's, then I called my daughter over and stuck in the knife.  She started screaming.  She did not want her cut open. I asked her if she wanted hers like her brothers, she screamed no.  Halloween night came and she wondered why she didn't get to put a candle in hers, especially since I used her scented candle for her brother's pumpkin.  Here is the face she directed me to draw, before I tried to cut.  She wanted the lips "BIGGG!"

Ahh, children, and halloween, and children at halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment