Thursday, June 2, 2016

2 weeks ago

Two weeks ago when I was near the end of packing but still had so far to go. I was eating breakfast and pretty panicked. I kept thinking hold it together. Motivational thinking was not really helping.
So I figured I needed to put first things first and do some light religious study. I know we are suppose to feast but light is better then none.

I opened my LDS Gospel library App thinking I'll pick I'll my conference talks where I left off. My heart fell I saw the picture of a seventy I didn't recognize. I started reading anyway because in my panicked state I didn't know what else to read. To make matters worse it was a talk about the Hymn book. I didn't care about the history of the Hymn book. Didn't the spirit know how busy I was?

It was Elder Steven Snow's talk Be Thou Humble from April 2016 General Conference. Now that I'm typing this I do see the irony.  After I finished my light study I also realized Satan didn't want me to study the talk. He didn't want me to have that strength which is why I was so upset in the beginning of my reading. It was exactly the talk the spirit wanted me to read.
In the second to last paragraph of the talk he writes,
"It should come as no surprise that President Kimball’s favorite hymn was “I Need Thee Every Hour.” Elder Dallin H. Oaks reported that this was the most oft-sung opening hymn by the Brethren in the temple during his early years in the Quorum of the Twelve. He said, “Picture the spiritual impact of a handful of the Lord’s servants singing that song before praying for his guidance in fulfilling their mighty responsibilities.”

When I finished the talk I looked up on YouTube the Mo Tab singing I Need Thee Every Hour. Immediately following the next video that played was Mo Tab singing I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go.
I needed to start my day with those two hymns. They are what I needed to hear to carry me through the end of packing. To give me the fortude to not fall to pieces in front of my kids every time I said good bye to a good friend.

The talk keeps giving. This morning I took my husband to the airport on the way home I was pondering many things. This was an answer to some of them.
"She based her text for “Be Thou Humble” on two verses of scripture: Doctrine and Covenants 112:10 and Ether 12:27. The verse in Ether reads: “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; … for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”

Also since we've moved my older kids are bickering a lot with each other. So here is another answer to pondering.
"While nurturing their self-confidence and self-esteem, we need to teach them the qualities of selflessness, kindness, obedience, lack of pride, civility, and unpretentiousness. We need them to learn to take joy in the successes of siblings and friends. President Howard W. Hunter taught that “our genuine concern should be for the success of others.” If not, our children can become obsessed with self-promotion and outdoing others, jealousy, and resentment for the triumphs of peers. I’m grateful for a mother who, when seeing I was becoming too full of myself as a boy, would say, “Son, a little bit of humility right now would go a long way.”

I'm going to reemphasized one of those sentences:
"We need them to learn to take joy in the successes of siblings and friends. President Howard W. Hunter taught that “our genuine concern should be for the success of others.”

No comments:

Post a Comment