Monday, June 22, 2015

Non-fiction Summer Reading

The other day a friend asked for a book recommendation, and I could come up with a fiction one. Then realized its because I've only been reading non-fiction. Not only non-fiction but only psychology and child development. Not everyone's cup of tea.

The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing DisorderThe Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was referred to me when it became painfully clear yet another one of my children has sensory processing disorder. I read the first book, and this is a good follow up. It is easier to read and scan. I don't always agree with Kranowitz opinions, but the book does have a lot of ideas. Some seemed painfully obvious to me, but then again I think my kids are a little more free play in the backyard then a lot of modern kids.
It was organized in a clear way, and had good some good suggestions. I'll definitely be trying some out.



View all my reviews


Why Gender Matters: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know about the Emerging Science of Sex DifferencesWhy Gender Matters: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know about the Emerging Science of Sex Differences by Leonard Sax
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My friend recommended this book to me and it was beyond interesting to me. Four years later, it finally clicked why my oldest child who loves school, hated kindergarten. He loved preschool and loved first grade but not kindie. Why because he had a soft spoken teacher who wanted him to describe colors and read fiction and sit still. He does so good with loud teachers who allow him to stand at his desk instead of sit in a chair. But yet my daughter who always struggled in preschool thrived in kindergarten with a calm soft spoken teacher. (Those poor boys in her class.) On page 24, it said, "Girls draw nouns, boys draw verbs..." Oh golly, duh, never realized it but makes complete sense. I love hearing children describe their pictures before kindergarten, especially boys.
Since I just read a different book on neurology, I was surprised when he said males feel emotions in their amygdala while women experience it cerebral cortex. Which explains why my husband never wants to discuss his bad moods. Its hard to verbally express what is happening in the amygdala. Also I thought it was useful to hear the difference in how boys prefer to discuss books. Makes so many conversations with my husband or oldest son make so much more sense.
I also thought it was interesting when the book said, "Ironically, the result of her lack of awareness of gender differences is a reinforcement of traditional gender sterotypes." Accepting that males and females are different allow them to thrive beyond gender stereotypes.
Since I only have small children I loved the beginning of the book. The chapter on teenage sexuality was beyond depressing. I hate the sexual revolution because it seemed that instead of empowering females it has turned them into objects by males instead of liberating them.

I'm always pleased to be reminded as a parent "Your job is not to maximize your child's pleasure, but to broaden her horizons." 172

Lastly the book mentioned in 1999 the Colorado state school board approved a resolution advising teachers not to recommend or suggest psychotropic medications for any student because they are utilized for discipline. I thought now I know why I love Colorado. I don't have a problem with medication as long as it is needed, but I think its used too early when diet and exercise can change lots. Not to mention active children are normal not sick.

View all my reviews Mindsight: The New Science of Personal TransformationMindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation by Daniel J. Siegel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book it was a little dry at times but come on its a psychology book, that often explains brain neurology how could it not be dry. Understanding brain neurology is not my strong suit, but in the beginning of the book the author mentions people who study the brain for a living don't understand it so that made it easier to wade through this book.
It was a timely book to read for me. I feeling some residual anxiety left over from my postpartum depression last year so it helped me find the tools I needed to shake off that anxiety without a prescription from my MD. (I don't have a problem with prescription I just prefer to use other methods first.)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment