Saturday, December 19, 2009

Well Child

I took my 12 month old into her well child visit. It was something, I'm so picky about doctors. We switched, but I don't know if it was worth the switch. The doctor was surprised my daughter slept 12 hours at night and when she woke up in the middle of the night that she didn't eat. Which was extremely bizarre because she was so excited my daughter didn't have a bottle. She was also very worried about what she ate, and had a hard time grasping the idea that N babe everything, literally everything we ate. (Just ask Grandpa) She eats everything, and lots too. The doctor wanted me to be feeding her baby cereal, and I told get real. She quit that months ago.
But the doctor only gave my daughter half her immunizations, the rest to be given at 15 months, so that was nice. Plus she didn't press us to do a flu shot.
To my daughter sats, she is 29.5 inches long, and 18 lbs. Long and thin, hmm, I wonder where she gets that from. Her head is also 18 inches. The doctor was concerned with her be in such a low percentile with weight but I assured her that it was completely normal for the gene pool, considering most of her cousins follow the same trend. And after a few minutes of her mumbling to herself about a skinny baby was she said well I guess you are thin too. I thought you just noticed I'm a good 6 inches taller than you?
The real kicker of the day, was the doctor was concerned she had a urinary tract infection. So she wanted a sample from my daughter. I had until 5:30 to get it in, considering she slept most of the day from her shots, only had about two hours to get one. My husband told me it was ridiculous there was nothing wrong with the baby and don't even try. But try I did. First I fed her a whole cup of juice and stuck her in a dry bathtub without pants on. Until I got dead bored, and my daughter kept crawling out. By the time she wandered without pants on to see her dad, followed by me with a cup in my hand my husband said put a diaper on her. So I did, but I put a bag on first. About 20 minutes later, I checked to see if she had peed. She had, the diaper was wet but the bag was dry. So I tried another bag, at 5 I checked again. This time the diaper was wetter and the bag had about a half an ounce. We were out of time, I decided to stop plaguing my daughter, she didn't enjoy the bags imagine that. My husband called the office to say we had failed. The next day I got a call from the doctor herself, I was surprised it wasn't a nurse, I was in a very busy public place and it was a struggle to keep an eye on my son, but I still managed to talk to the doctor. She wanted to make sure my daughter had peed yesterday. I said, yes her diaper was wet, but the bags were dry. Then she informed me, that she was not anemic from her blood work, and that her white blood cell was high, which meant she had a virus not a urinary tract infection. (I already knew that). Anyway, doctors in todays world aren't really my favorite, because we are so concerned about charts, and lawsuits, that we can't use instinct and common sense. What they forget is the only way to function as a mother is instinct, reading every child care book in the world would be an utter failure without mother nature/biology providing us with instinct.
Not to mention my daughter has plenty of chuckness and rolls hidden on her tall petite body. I love to see her walk in a onesis and laugh at her fat thighs.

3 comments:

  1. I love your little baby girl. I think she is practically perfect...if only she could say my name already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... this is what I have to look forward to? Fun, fun. The doctors hate that they have to do everything based on lawsuits too. I hear them complaining about it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My summer appointment I said I wasn't going to worry about feeding the baby solids for a while and just nurse him. So this last appointment they did an Iron test (poked him in the food and took blood) Well he was fine. Silly doctor. And now the baby eats all kinds of things and gets plenty of Iron. Sheez, I think moms know best!

    ReplyDelete