Thursday, March 14, 2013

Scouts

If you have been following my blog the last 5 years you will remember that my husband as a Scout Master has always been a trial of my faith.  If you haven't and you have talked to me you would probably say, Scouts, a trial of your faith? Nah, Not Lesli.  But yes its true, its hard for me to be supportive.  I try very very diligently.  I think my husband sometimes gets annoyed with my lack of support, but overall, I think he is grateful for my effort.  
Today at breakfast I mentioned to my husband, I would be interested to meet another wife of a Scout Master who isn't LDS, to see her perspective about the time it takes.  His response was the only people who volunteer outside of the church have sons in scouts, I said I know that's why I want to ask her about her opinion on the time involved. As far as I can tell, other than a jr. pro team that travels, Scouting takes up more time than sport teams.  Sure its not an every week thing, but when it is, its an all day, all weekend, or all week thing.
Yes it true, I don't like Scouts.  I see the value, I know boys need to learn to become men, but that doesn't mean I like it.  I truly feel like I'm sacrificing my family time for a bunch of boys I barely know.  But that's what I've been taught sacrifice brings blessings. In my basement in a shadow box with my husband's mission name tag, it says, Missionary- someone who leaves their family for a short time so other can be with theirs for eternity.  Scout master is a similar thing for me.  People sacrificed to help my husband when he was a snot nosed teenaged boy, so and hopefully someone will sacrifice when my boys are teenagers.  So....
But all of that isn't actually true, I decided my membership in my church was far more important than not liking scouts.  If I hadn't made covenants to sacrifice everything I posses, then I'm pretty sure scouts would have driven me to not going to church 5 years ago. Blut yes.  But whats the point of a blog if you can't put your honest thoughts out there.  That and there is a fair chance my marriage would have failed, without my tried effort to support scouts.  So yes, my husband and the religion are the only two reasons.
I really do think scouting turned my husband into a better man.
Its a good thing, all my brothers eagle scouts, or I would have really struggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment