Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Not Dinner

At some point in my journey as a mother, I got in my head the most important thing I can do for my family is feed them dinner. That was too much for me this summer. When I was particularly struggling even before my husband even realized he said, we can eat cold cereal for dinner. Really we can? There were a few weeks we only ate breakfast for dinner, cold cereal or quesadillas. Honestly I'm not even sure what I ate because I don't like cold cereal. There is a chance nothing since that is one of the byproducts of depression.
Around the same time someone, I can't remember who or when shared a thought from Sister Reeves talk last spring.
Some of you have heard me tell how overwhelmed my husband, Mel, and I felt as the parents of four young children. As we faced the challenges of parenting and keeping up with the demands of life, we were desperate for help. We prayed and pleaded to know what to do. The answer that came was clear: “It is OK if the house is a mess and the children are still in their pajamas and some responsibilities are left undone. The only things that really need to be accomplished in the home are daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening.”
 Ok, so it was only the last sentence shared but seriously at that point in my life, my mind was blown. The most important thing isn't dinner its daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening. I could do that, my house was getting messier and messier, my babies were spending all day in the jammies already, but I could accomplish one thing each day, family prayer. As the summer passed we improved scripture study. That thought stuck in my head, but funny I couldn't remember the talk or where I heard the talk. But thenpinterest came through. Thanks to Em and Me.
Let it be said, you replace the husband name, and that quote sums up the last 7 months of my life. Side note, we've rarely spent Saturdays having family fun since we moved here three and half years ago. I didn't want to buy a house because I knew it would keep us and our money busy, but it was the right thing to do. As the summer progressed we have been doing lots of fun saturday activities, we don't stay home and clean, or yard work, or diy projects we go out and bike ride, or hike, or swim or something else. Its been wonderful, turns out cleaning isn't that important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment