Friday, March 13, 2015

Personal Ministry

About 8 years ago I was listening to my brother talk to my mom about General Conference. I started to get confused, I said you don't ask specific questions do you? He said yes I do. I said no, how could you get answers to questions specific about just you during General Conference? He said, I went to conference and expected to get the answer to What I should do in my (his name)'s personal ministry?


I always think about that before conference but I don't always have extremely specific personally questions before conference so I don't always put it into practice.

Well last summer was probably my hardest in my life. So as conference rolled around, I thought I have the very specific thing I NEEDED to know. I was going to seriously put my brother's practice to the test instead of half heartily think about questions.

I sat through so many sessions of conference and nothing. Really great talks, that taught me important things, but I did not get the answer to my one question. Just one question that I had. Then Sunday afternoon rolled around, I thought now or never. 
Two talks went by... 
Then finally as I sat there hand sewing a Halloween costume, 

Elder Carlos Godoy started his talk, The Lord Has a Plan for Us! 
It was the answer I was looking for. And then as an extra added piece of humor, Elder Hugo Martinez got up and gave, Our Personal Ministries. Say what? That is the question my brother asked seven and half years ago, what should he do in his personal ministry.

I feel like I have more study to do on the this concept of a personal ministry.
Elder Martinez said,
Our prayers were answered by their personal ministries. The faces of those three brethren reflected the love that Jesus Christ has for us, and their service—in other words, their personal ministry—brought much more than drinking water into our lives. To every son or daughter of God, knowing that people are interested in and watching out for his or her welfare is essential.
I testify to you that Heavenly Father and our Lord, Jesus Christ, know us individually and personally. For that reason, They provide what we need so we will have the opportunity to reach our divine potential. Along the road, They place people who will help us. Then, as we become instruments in Their hands, we are able to serve and help those They show to us by revelation.
In this way, the Lord Jesus Christ will reach all of Heavenly Father’s children. The Good Shepherd will gather all His sheep. He will do so one by one as they make good use of their moral agency—after hearing the voice of His servants and receiving their ministrations. Then they will recognize His voice, and they will follow Him. Such personal ministry is integral to keeping our baptismal covenants.
Likewise, being a good example of a disciple of Jesus Christ is our best letter of introduction to those with whom we can share His gospel. As we open our mouths and share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, we become “His undershepherds, charged with nourishing the sheep of His pasture and the lambs of His fold”; we become “the weak and the simple” “fishers of men.”
[..] We have the special opportunity to be instruments in His hands. We can be so in our marriages, in our families, with our friends, and with our fellowman. That is our personal ministry as true disciples of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment