Sunday, January 11, 2015

Possessions

Thanks to facebook, I read this article, called "6 Reasons We Hang onto Possessions and 7 Solid Reasons to Let Them Go". Point 7 was eye opening, I have never thought about it this way before,
  1. Possessions give us more to apologize for, climb over and argue over.Possessions encourage greed. The more we focus on material things, the more we tend to brag, hoard, compete, and want more. The more we get the less we seem to be satisfied with what we already have.
Possessions encourage greed, I'm going to mull this around in my head for a few days. I think its true...
Then she quotes,
Bertrand Russell said, “It is the preoccupation with possession more than anything else, that prevents man from living freely and nobly.”
That is so true for my life, my husband is a dreamer than comes up with so many different ideas for adventures in our lives and often I feel like the only thing holding us back in my attachment to stuff. I wish it wasn't like that, but its true. I don't want to leave because I like our stuff, a direct quote from me, I don't want to leave our swing set, etc etc But we just got a new bed...
 The older I get the less attach to stuff I am, there is still hope yet.


Funny antidote:
Years ago when I was a newlywed, I was watching a movie or something with my husband, my brother, and his wife- my sister in law. Afterward we were joking and my brother said to Brent you don't have to worry about Lesli running off, the only place she would go is back to Texas. I can't remember who said the next line but next it was said, that nah, she would never want to leave all her stuff, she likes her wedding presents too much. Oh how true it was/is. Sad day, that I was so attached my plates!  I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave my husband, but its sad that it was noticed the things I was most attached to were THINGS. That being said it was all said in jest, but it was also all true.

No comments:

Post a Comment