Thursday, January 15, 2015

Bad Music?

Last week I read an article that implied if we are listening to bad music then we won't be worthy of inspiration. I have a tendency to take things to the extreme, to think if we are not utterly perfect we must be dammed to complete misery. So when I read that and thought hmmm, maybe my music is bad, maybe I should stop listening to music. If only I could convince my husband to stop listening to music. (Did you catch what I said there stop listening to music, not bad music to music, meaning all music? We would never last listening to only religious music, so we would have to go cold turkey.)
A few days went by and I didn't listen to ANY music which you know is normal, I don't listen to the radio in the car when I'm taking my kids to school, and often thats the only place we go. Then on Tuesday I took a nap, I woke up feeling like a the walking dead. Everyone wanted attention, all wanted food, more than half were incapable of feeding themselves without my help. I truly didn't know what to do, I sat in a comatose state as multiple children cried. I had a clear impression, turn on some music. So I did, I turned on my favorite pandora station, because I was too out of it, to do anything else. It is political rap, I've been really into political rap the last couple of years. I woke up, we had snacks, we all recovered life was good.
Should I be careful in what music my children hear me listening to? yes. But it turns out music is not bad. Telling me not to listen to music with political overtones would be like telling me not to read the news, it just can't happen. Its a part of who I am. Some music is clearly inappropriate and there are a few songs I probably shouldn't listen to but most of the music I listen to isn't any worse than the conversation Brent and I have while cooking dinner. My children are exposed to politics at a very young age. You should hear some of the conversations we have, like when a child tells me we need solar panels, or wouldn't we be healthier if we food dyes were illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment