Wednesday, August 13, 2014

No Flow

Sometimes I get down right overwhelmed with the lack of flow in my life. (Wikipedia, tells us, Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does.)

Today while getting ready for swim lessons I thought I'm not sure how many more days I can do this. (School starts in exactly a week.) Then I had a thought: if the roles were reversed my husband would struggle just as much at my job, if not more. My husband has to keep up with the other 5 of us once maybe twice a week.  I can tell the demanding amount of work required for everyone has a tendency to overwhelm him. Honestly I can't blame him. If he had to do it every day, without me around to dress and clean everyone, he is would as bonkers at as me.  This little thought was enough to carry me through the next two hours of madness. Even if my oldest missed half of his swim lesson because I forgot he had one.

We won't talk about the exact opposite of flow that happened at lunch time three hours later when my two middlies were both so demanding that they refused to allow me to eat lunch.

I'm not sure the last time I experienced flow in my life, it has been at least two months, at least.  Which I'm sure is normal since I'm depressed. But you know what I just thought, I may not have flow but I at least have endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment