Thursday, May 8, 2014

Slipped Disk

First off you should know I know absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about other than I've been in pain off and on for about 6 months. Finally I've figured out I have a slipped disk or herniated disk or a bulging disk.  Apparently according to the internet, they are all the same thing.  Also apparently you can't be certain you have one without an MRI. I don't need an official diagnoses.  Two weeks ago I went in for a chiropractic adjustment.  The adjustment caused the upper/outer tissue in my leg muscles to tingle.  I told the Chiropractor this, he said if you are in pain by the weekend call me.  It took me a few days to put two and two together.  I have a 3 month old remember, I'm not operating with all my cylinders. A lot of other stuff happened and I ended up not going back in for about 10 days.  After me describing what it felt like, we've decided its a slipped disk. I think he said my third vertebrae. Which is in the lower back and unusual. I think its the fourth that is normal.  I said, I'm unique, I've sprained the inner arch on my ankles three times! Which apparently only has a 5% chance.  I beat the odds THREE times! Ok, I didn't get that animated, I added that for you my three readers.
We figured this out, because I had severe muscle spasms in my right thigh from my hip bone to my knee.  My muscles got so tense, I was probably at a 5 or 6 on the pain scale.  I started taking the prescription strength 800 mg of Ibuprofen, every 5 hours instead of the recommended 6-8.  It dulled the pain, but it was still always there. Apparently the nerves that control that part of the leg come from the vertebrae that is out. (Remember I have no idea what I'm talking about.) This is explains why I feel like my core strength is so weak even after doing core strengthening exercises. 
Long story short, since at least my sixth month pregnant if not before, I could sometimes feel a vertebrae poking out my back when I sat on a firm but soft chair, like a captain's chair in a car. I think this is the reason I had so much pain when I got my epidural and why the anesthesiologist had such a hard time giving me it. In fact as I write this, I know it is, he told me had to use a different vertebrae than normal.  Ewe, just thinking about it makes me nauseous.
This is what MayoClinic.org says, in case you are wondering what I'm talking about
A herniated disk refers to a problem with one of the rubbery cushions (disks) between the individual bones (vertebrae) that stack up to make your spine.
A spinal disk is a little like a jelly donut, with a softer center encased within a tougher exterior. Sometimes called a slipped disk or a ruptured disk, a herniated disk occurs when some of the softer "jelly" pushes out through a crack in the tougher exterior.
A herniated disk can irritate nearby nerves and result in pain, numbness or weakness in an arm or leg. On the other hand, many people experience no symptoms from a herniated disk. Most people who have a herniated disk don't need surgery to correct the problem. 
It also says, weight can be a risk factor
  • Weight. Excess body weight causes extra stress on the disks in your lower back.
 I'm not for sure, but I could almost guarantee that two back to back pregnancies where the cause.  I have a very petite body frame, albeit tall, but my bones are thin and unprotected with hardly any muscle, then I gain 40 lbs when I'm pregnant almost all in my abdomen.  Then I give birth to 9 lbs 2 oz, and 8 lbs, 8 oz babies, yeah, they killed my body. The second baby wasn't too kind to my body, but it slowly recovered after a few years, but the last two babies, murdered my body.  Sure I still look thin, but appearances are deceiving.  Looks aren't everything.
My chiropractor can fix it, but its going to take a while and its going to be painful in the beginning. I'm not sure I'm up it.  But yet I am, because I'm sick of this pain I've been feeling.
Actually I think the problem probably started during my third pregnancy, after the baby came, I couldn't lie on my back without my legs going numb, until after adjustment.
Had the same problem after four.  I doubt it would have been classified as a slipped disk a year and half ago, but I think it was aggravated during number 3 then butchered during number 4. Probably why I could barely walk during either of those pregnancies.

2 comments:

  1. yikes! glad you are getting answers. Pain w/o answers is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had an MRI but I injured my back at work two years ago and needed physical therapy after. With my last pregnancy I couldn't walk the last two months either. Back issues are super hard to deal with, so I feel for you. Especially with the little ones!

    ReplyDelete