Monday, February 10, 2014

Eye Color

My daughter has had this romantic notion about the eye color hazel during the last month.  Finally I couldn't take it any longer, I didn't really even know what eye color hazel was.  I looked it up on wikipedia while feeding my baby.  Turns out its a mix between brown and green.  As I read about eye color I found it fascinating. My daughter and I have green eyes.  My husband and sons' have brown.  The last baby I think will have brown, he has navy eyes like his brothers all did as newborns.  My daughter had light blue until she was about 10 months old when they started to go green.  Wikipedia told me, "A study of Icelandic and Dutch adults found green eyes to be much more prevalent in women than in men." I find this so interesting since only the girls have green eyes in the family I created.  My husband's eyes use to be a deep brown color like my oldest boy's, but they have faded over the years, so now they are fairly hazel-y.  Mine use to be a vibrant green, but after high school, they too have faded as I've aged.  Now mine are barely greener than my husband's.  But I know my daughter has mine, because we have a lot of yellow mixed in our green. I love that all my boys have brown eyes. As a teenager I was fascinated to find out I have my maternal grandma's eye color, since my mom has brown eyes. Most of my siblings have either blue eyes like my dad or brown like my mom.  I guess overall I find eye color fascinating, maybe its because I had this random color unlike the rest of my immediate family.

No comments:

Post a Comment